Happy New Year everyone!
With the new year, I decided to try out something new. This is my first ever Bundt cake, my first cake of the year, and also tonight's dessert!
The soft, moist texture and the sweet-and-sour taste of the Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake is complimented well by the poppy seed. I quite like it.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
recipe adapted from : No Frills Recipes
130g caster sugar
2 egg whites
180g low fat milk
2 tsp vanilla
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp poppy seeds（罂粟子）
1 Tbsp grated lemon peel Lemon Glaze - 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice + 4 Tbsp sugar. Mix together till sugar has dissolved.
1. Sift plain flour with baking powder and salt, set aside.
2. Beat sugar, egg, egg whites and butter till well blended.
3. Add in the milk and vanilla. (Batter will curdle at this juncture).
4. Fold in sifted flour, lemon peel and poppy seeds. Mix well, scraping from the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl.
5. Pour batter into a greased and flour dusted 8 cup Bundt pan.
6. Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 35 to 40 mins. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
7. Remove cake from the oven, poke holes and brush with the lemon syrup. Leave cake in the pan for 10 mins. before unmoulding the cake onto a serving plate.
8. Brush the cake with the remaining lemon syrup while the cake is still warm.Note : This cake is best served the next day.
Apologies, I took these photos with my new tablet, and because of some wrong settings, the results are either too short and too wide, or too tall and too narrow. Sorry about that! The next post will be better, I promise.
Also, the original recipe stated that this is for 8 cup bundt pan, while the only bundt pan I have is 10 cup bundt pan. Ends up the cake became too short, but never mind, after all, it's a learning experience, isn't it? Hopefully my next try will turn out better.
Once again, wishing everyone a Happy New Year! May your 2015 be blessed with happiness, health and prosperity!