The other day, while hunting for some mooncake ingredients in the fridge, I realized I still had some pumpkin left from the Steam Pumpkin Kueh. Ish......what am I going to do with it before it spoils? Just then, a friend asked if I had a Steam Pumpkin Kueh with Grated Coconut recipe. Eh, good idea! And so, refering to Jenny's recipe, I weighed my pumpkin. 270g, just right! What a coincidence!
The sweet, delicious taste of the pumpkin goes well with the soft, springy texture of the cake. The salty grated coconut makes it all the more tastier. Meanwhile, the golden color of the Kueh makes it a treat to the eyes too!
盐 1 茶匙
2. 拌入木薯粉, 粘米粉, 糖和盐拌匀, 慢慢加入椰浆和清水拌均, 过滤.
3. 將混合料倒入锅里, 开小火,不停搅拌煮至微温(可用手指测试混合料的温度, 微温即可)
4. 將微温的混合料倒入蒸盘里, 以中大火蒸20分钟或用竹签插入测试, 面糊不沾即可.
5. 取出后摊凉, 切块沾上蒸好的嫩椰丝即可.
I used a few small moulds instead of one big steaming tray to save on having to cut it. It also makes de-moulding easier and convinient storage .
Steam Pumpkin Kueh with Grated Coconut
270g tapioca powder
1tbsp rice flour
300g coconut milk
*P.S. The sweetness is just right, so don't cut down on the sugar!
1 grated coconut
*Mix evenly and steam for 10 minutes.
1. Steam the pumpkin until cooked, then mash it.
2. Mix in the tapioca flour, rice flour, sugar and salt evenly, slowly add in the coconut milk and water, and sieve.
3. Pour the mixture into a pot and warm over a small flame while stirring constantly. You can use a finger to test if it is slightly warm.
4. Pour the warm mixture into a mould and steam over high flame for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
5. Remove form mould and allow to cool. Cut into mouth size and sprinkle some topping before serving.
Thanks to this friend, I've managed to solve the pumpkin problem and learn a new Nyonya kueh; thanks to the pumpkin, I've made a new friend!