Recently, I've taken an interest in healthy buns made with grains. So I've decided to share this healthy bun -- Rye Flakes Bun with you!
Rye Flakes(Secale cereale)
Consuming rye can help reduce the risk of diabetes. Rye contains more zinc, vitamin B and lignan, a chemical compound that can reduce the risk of breast cancer.
At first I had simply wanted it to be a healthier choice of food for myself, but I didn't count on NaNak finding a liking in it too! In fact, she actually asked me to make more so that she can bring it to be snacked on during camp. It just proves how delicious this bread is!
Mix ingredients A evenly with a spatula and cook over a small flame until all the liquid has dried up.
Add in the unsalted butter and the tangzhong in (1). Knead them in using a slow speed, then switch to medium speed and knead until pliable.
Rye Flakes Bun
A) Rye dough (Tangzhong)：
25g rye flakes
B) 200g bread flour
15g caster sugar
3g instant yeast
C) 10g unsalted butter
1. Mix ingredients A evenly with a spatula and cook over a small flame until all the liquid has dried up. Scoop out and leave to cool before wrapping it with a cling wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
2. Mix all ingredients B evenly, then knead into a dough using slow speed before kneading with medium speed until the dough is pliable.
3. Add in the unsalted butter and the tangzhong in (1). Knead them in using a slow speed, then switch to medium speed and knead until pliable.
4. Place the dough in a container and cover it with a cling wrap. Leave to proof for 80 minutes.
5. Divide the dough equally into 6 portions. Roll them into balls and arrange them on a tray to rest for another 30 minutes.
6. Brush the dough with egg-wash and coat the dough with oat bran. Using a sharp knife, cut a few slits on the surface of the dough and allow it to continue resting for 10 minutes.
7. Bake in a preheated at 190°C for 25 minutes.
Although it's not very soft, yet the chewiness and the natural cereal smell makes it a delicious bread anyway. Meanwhile, the high fiber content of the bread makes it a filling snack.